Thursday, February 03, 2005

Lister Stomps On the Terra

Center of the Universeville, T.O.
43°40' North; 79°22' West


A few days ago we were lamenting the premature yanking of Lister Sinclair from his post as the hostest with the mostest on the perenially brainiacal 'Ideas' on CBC radio.

Of course, much like the story of Bob Edwards' firing from Morning Edition from NPR, the suits who make such bone headed decisions said that Mr. Sinclair was too old to get the job done.

But does this recent online exchange that occurred due to a celebration of Lister's 80th birthday sound like something somebody who has lost it would say?

Michael Longval asks: How did you get so damn smart? What vitamins did yer folks give you?

Lister Sinclair answers: Fortunately, I have no faults of any kind. I am perfect in every way, perfect in intelligence, good looks, attractiveness and general wisdom. I have only one fault - I'm a liar. No, seriously, I knew a lot of smart people, worked with many people many of whom were a lot smarter than I am and I had a lonely childhood made bearable by books. Good, bad and indifferent. The range of books didn't make me into a high brow, there was so much exciting trash around that I came out some kind of 'omni brow'.

Omni-brow. Ya. Definitely. Clearly nothing Spongiform going on in that brain.


No comments: