Sunday, September 10, 2006

The L Girl's Story

SheMovedToCanada
AndTookUsAllToNewYork.

Laura, the L Girl, is the proprietor of 'We Move To Canada'.

It's a truly fine blog.

I always enjoy her wit, her wisdom, and is my want, her wordsmithing.

And here is her very personal 9/10 story:

September 10, 2001. The date has a certain poignancy, doesn't it? For many people, it was the last day of peace, the last day without the pain that they'll live with for the rest of their lives. For all of us, it was the last day our illusion of safety and invulnerability was in full working order. It was our moment before knowing.

I can recall my own moment before knowing, when the landscape of my life changed permanently. I can picture it in the same vivid relief that I imagine September 11th families can recall the bright blue sky that Tuesday morning.

It was August, 1982. I was hanging out with two good friends, cooking, talking, laughing, drinking wine, being young women together. Later, I changed into an oversized t-shirt, got in my pull-out sofa bed, under the covers, read the little Modern Library edition of a Thomas Hardy novel I had found in a used bookstore. Then - and here I pause, achingly, wistfully, watching that former self, the young woman I was - I switched off the light. I see the tensor lamp with the red metal shade, my finger on the switch. It was my September 10th.......


Go read the rest.

And then go thank her.

OK?

.

No comments: