Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Just How Bad Are Things In Detroit (And Windsor)?

AllTheNewsThatFits
InMyBrainVille




AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - The Detroit Pistons missed 64 per cent of their shots and had a rookie filling in for an all-star at point guard.

It didn't matter.

Detroit set an NBA playoff record with just three turnovers and made just enough shots and stops to advance to their sixth straight Eastern Conference final with a 91-86 win Tuesday night over the Orlando Magic in Game 5 of the second-round series
.....


I was forced to climb into the Big Cigar Tube that flies through the sky on Sunday just so I could get to the place where I spent the last three days in a bunker with fellow science geeks bashing each other up the side of the head over how to distribute grant funds*.

All of which means that, despite my relative proximity, I could not have gone to the Detroit Pistons game last night even if I'd wanted to.

But here's the thing.

If I had wanted to go, and if my family had been there with me (which they weren't), all four of us could have gone to the game AND had our fill of an unlimited supply of sodas and hot dogs too.

For just $99.

At least that was the pitch in the ads that ran pretty much non-stop on the TeeVee for the last three days.

Which means that NBA play-off tickets are going for about twelve bucks a pop in Motor City at the moment.

If they can sell them at all.

So forget about all the high-falutin' economic analyses about how bad things are in the Detroit/Windsor area because that number 99 tells you all you need to know.

OK?


____
I've written about these science geek group flagellation fests before, here.

.
.

No comments: