Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Real Honour, In More Than Just Degree

HometownHero
CanuckistanmikitaVille




We were never more proud of Michael J. Fox than when he did this.


Well, now we are even more proud to honour him by giving him this:


Highlights from Kelly Sinoski in the VSun:

...Fox, 46, was ushered through UBC's Chan Centre Thursday morning with a group of UBC grads and other honorary degree holders as part of the week's convocation ceremonies.

"When I received the invitation, I thought, 'What were you thinking?' I have no experience of graduating from university or even graduating from high school," Fox joked, before adding: "This means a great deal to me, I'm deeply moved.".......

{snippety-doo-dah}

......Fox shot to fame as Alex P. Keaton, a Republican teenager in a Democratic family, on the TV show Family Ties in the 1980s. He also appeared in TV shows and movies, including Spin City, Back to the Future, The Secret of My Success and Bright Lights, Big City.

But his biggest role came in 1991, when he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, a degenerative disorder that often impairs motor skills and speech.

He didn't publicly reveal he had the disease until seven years later, and in 2000, he founded the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research, which has raised more than $120 million toward Parkinson's research.

During his speech at UBC, Fox's body often swayed with tremors and he sometimes stumbled over his words as he told the grads how "truly honoured" he was to share the day with them.

"No matter what path you take in life, remember that you have opportunity every day, every moment to invent the future you want," he said.

He said he's been lucky to have had different roles in life, including those of actor, husband, father and Parkinson's advocate, and remains inspired and challenged by those around him.

"I have been blessed with the opportunity to work for real impact on the world and in the lives of those around me, and to be a partner in the critical search for answers," he said.

Despite his success, Fox showed he will always be a B.C. boy with roots in Metro Vancouver who will never lose his sense of humour.

"This is not a big speech. I was told to be brief and casual -- that's me, brief and casual," he joked. "I'm working now on my memoirs and the focus is on optimism ... I'm never going to finish it. I'm so happy to be away from it and be home."


And while Mr. Fox would never say it, we can:



OK?



______
Here is my original commentary on the first link. Regarding, the second, I do not always fully approve of the all of the decisions that are made by the still kinda/sorta quasi-public institution which employs me, but this is not one of them.

.

No comments: