Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Wisdom Of Mr. Bridges

There'sNoThinkingInBaseball
ClearingTheBasesVille



Rocky Bridges is a lifer.

A baseball lifer who spent 10 years in the majors as a barely-hanging-on utility infielder followed by something like 872 years managing in the minor leagues.

Heckfire, Rocky even spent one summer in Vancouver back in the days when we had a real team.

But, as much as I enjoyed his antics, I never thought of Rocky as a deep thinker.

That all changed last week when, during a break from the election coverage and analysis, I stumbled across the following quote from Mr. Bridges in my old dog-eared copy of 'Baseball's Most Wanted':

"I know what the word 'media' means. It's plural for mediocre."


Which pretty much says it all, don't you think?



_______
Turns out Rocky was actually a one man quote-making machine on par, albeit perhaps slightly more cerebrally, with maybe even The Yogi. Here's one I especially like: "Sitting on the bench as a major leaguer was like being a little boy forever. I got a big charge out of seeing Ted Williams hit. Once in a while they let me try to field some of them, which sort of dimmed my enthusiasm."

.

No comments: