Friday, June 04, 2010

Running Off At The Mouth On All Things RailGate....

....And More


Fellow blogger, colleague, uke-lover, and Canadian expat, the Reverand Paperboy finally dragged me kicking and screaming onto the new-fangled, audio-visual-digital-mojo-wire (aka the 'skype-cycle') so that he could interview me for his weekly podcast titled 'The Maple Syrup Revolution'.

****

I wanted to to talk about the origins of the Bloggodome and how we both got into it....

He wanted me to explain RailGate....

We ended up doing both (although only the RailGate part made it onto this week's show; apparently the more free-wheeling stuff will go up next week).

And it was more fun than I could have possibly imagined.

****

Not sure I did really good job at getting to the true heart of the matter of all things RailGate for at least a couple of reasons....

First, the Rev. now lives in Tokyo, and he is not a native of Lotusland either, so there was a lot of upfront explaining to do regarding how a Liberal is not necessarily even a neo-liberal here in B.C.....How polarized things are politically....And how easily a 'faux' big-tent party, where people who are not way, way, way right or left can be easily convinced to park their votes, can be hijacked....etc....etc....etc...

And second, there is that darned retroactive "pre-trial publication ban" business which really does make it difficult to fully explain things to folks who haven't lived with the 'history' of the thing from the get-go.

****

In retrospect, the one aspect about the debacle that I really did give short-shrift to during the interview, I think, was 'Project EveryWhichWay' and all it entailed that was NOT directly related to the LedgeRaids....But other than that I think got most of the important stuff across without harming any and all pub-bans.

If you like, you can go and check it out for yourself, here.....

Oh, and if you need a program to keep up with all the players, Bill Tieleman has assembled a very fine one here.....

(and sorry for the yelling on the podcast - until I got used to the Skype thing I thought I was trying to shout all the way across the Pacific Ocean)


_______
Hey!.....Did anybody else notice that the 'lectronic half of the Ledgie Boys told the Goodship Watercarrier this a.m. that the RailGate trial is 'bogged down in procedural wrangling' and that it is 'no longer certain' that the trial will go forward at all.....Where the heckfire did that come form?....I mean, that is one helluva a trial balloon for Mr. Baldrey to suddenly send aloft outta nowhere don'cha think (Mr. Palmer kept his lips completely zipped and the Goodship then cut immediately to commercial)?....Gotta wonder if Baldrey been talking to somebody on the inside on the side opposite to that which Gary Mason 'allegedly' get his stuff....I dunno for sure....But....Regardless...I'm pretty sure I can hear the buzzing of PAB-Bots.....


.

18 comments:

Kim said...

You did a good job with the time you had RossK, impossible to tell the complete story in 45 minutes, without harming any publication bans. I think it will help spread our sense of frustration here and give a well deserved boost to websites where they can educate themselves. Glad it was fun. Will there a a book collaboration afterwards? That would be cool.

Anonymous said...

He's in Tokyo, you're here on Canadian soil. Is Madame Justice MacKenzie's Publication Ban recognized in Japan?

Rev.Paperboy said...

RossK, you did a great job explaining Railgate -- at least the best that can be expected without a couple of whiteboards, a powerpoint presentation and a programs listing the dramatis personae.

Our exploration of the history of blogging will indeed go up next week.

Laila Yuile said...

Well Done to both of you on this one! Very pro sounding, great voices, excellent dissertation on Railgate and all around a super enjoyable listening experience.

North Van's Grumps said...

There was this letter to the editor, many years ago (9), where I was basically congratulating the editor of a "small town" newspaper for his singular voice rather than my having to put up with a chorus of voices from the Editors of a daily newspaper.

With the daily, I'm never quite sure whether the "voice" I heard yesterday is the same one today.

I told him that I imagined his voice as a Lorne Greene, or a Sir Anthony Hopkins, but LOL in a subsequent publication he said that "they are both fine men, no doubt, but what about Tom Cruise or Russell Crowe or Brad Pitt.


Today I learned that the voice of RossK is close to what I imagined him to sound like because of the interview with Rev. Paperboy.

Now, if only I can get to court so that I can hear for myself that Martyn Brown is something other than......

G West said...

No worries Ross.

It was a pleasure to listen to and a very nicely done job. I think, especially, that you handled the pre-raid aspects of the affair very well...Charles River & etc.; and, additionally, that you made the point about 'sale'/'no sale' and the nonsense of 900 year leases very clearly.

I'm not sure I have as much optimism as you do about the potential of Gary Mason to step up and behave like an independent journalist either. Still, I have to say, in his favour, that at least he's not Jeffrey Simpson.

I hope you and the Rev. get lots of play in Lotusland!

Cheers.

concerned citizen said...

Good job with a complex story I would certainly not wish to take on in a radio interview. I enjoyed listening. One question - given the publication ban, would it be acceptable to mention Bill Tielman's A-Z?

I'm worried about Monday. I guess many others are too.

kootcoot said...

" given the publication ban, would it be acceptable to mention Bill Tielman's A-Z?"

Of course it would be acceptable. It did happen in the absence of the jury, but it DIDN'T happen in the Franz Kafka Memorial Courtroom 54.

If Bill T's A-Z was taboo then we couldn't even divulge the score of last night's hockey game, unless the jury was forced to watch the game.

concerned citizen said...

haha. We are living some kind of crazy, potentially tragic (but I hope not) comedy, aren't we? I just wanted to mention the A-Z for any people who are catching things like this radio broadcast and trying to familiarize themselves with this endlessly complex situation.

lynx said...

"Of course it would be acceptable. It did happen in the absence of the jury, but it DIDN'T happen in the Franz Kafka Memorial Courtroom 54.

If Bill T's A-Z was taboo then we couldn't even divulge the score of last night's hockey game, unless the jury was forced to watch the game."

Exactly, kootcoot.


....it is interesting how the writing and re-writing of that ban seems to have been "devised" to intentionally produce confusion, trepidation and reticence over the flow of information - the public's right to know what it deserves to know. A spoonful of misunderstanding helps the misinformation go down.

NVGrump's wife astute observation in one of the comment sections regarding the use of the publication ban and jury absence is very interesting as well.

West End Bob said...

Great job RossK and The Rev! And no, RossK, you didn't come across as screamin' across the Pacific - It was very well done . . . .

RossK said...

Thanks Kim and Laila--

I do wish I'd said more about Everywhichway because it, in my view, pointed to more than just the three accused.

_____

Anon--

Good point about that - I guess the rev. could post stuff up, but the thing is he's Canadian and might some day, I imagine, might want to come back....

______

NVG--

You know what is really bizarre?

In my head I sound absolutely nothing like that guy on that podcast....Could he be an imposter?...Ha!

______

GW--

Didn't mean to suggest that Mr. Mason would take this one to hoop hard if there is some sort of 'development' on Monday.....

I just think that of all of them he's the only one that actually might.

_____

CCitizen and koot and lynx--

Gosh, I should of thought of that already!

I'll get a link up to Bill's Bible right away so that folks can use it for 'background' on the various folks involved.

.

RossK said...

Thanks, too Bob--

I dunno - I'm pretty sure I was yellin' at least halfway there...As far as, say, Maui....?


.

Anonymous said...

"In my head I sound absolutely nothing like that guy on that podcast"..............maybe the voice that Martyn Brown thinks he is projecting to the Courtroom is being heard by others as a cry for help.

RossK said...

Ha!!!!!

.

Rev.Paperboy said...

Ross was great guest and stay tuned for next week's exploration of the history of blogging with RossK.
Laila -- you'd be a welcome guest anytime - I love your stuff! RossK has the contact info or just check the Woodshed

kootcoot said...

"Good point about that - I guess the rev. could post stuff up, but the thing is he's Canadian and might some day, I imagine, might want to come back...."

At best they could ban the Rev Paperboy from the COURTROOM - they couldn't ban him from Canada....or at least that is my non-lawyer opinion (with no privilege)!

RossK said...

koot--

There ain't no privilege like non-lawyer privilege....

.