Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Grapes Of Pete.


AllTheFiveStrings
ThatFitVille


There are a lot of great Pete Seeger tributes out there.

But one of my favourites is a personal one from our friend Ellen Bloom that, in the end, brings us around to Mr. Fonda putting voice to to words of Mr. Steinbeck:

"A fella ain't got a soul of his own, but only a piece of a big soul, the one big soul out there that belongs to everybody. And then it don't matter. Then I'll be all around in the dark. I'll be everywhere…Wherever there's a fight so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beating up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad, and I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry and they know supper's ready…And when our people eat the stuff they raise, and the houses they build, I'll be there too."


Regardless who said it and/or who wrote it, it sure does sound like Mr. Seeger to me.


_______
Pete tunes coming....In the meantime, here's somebody singing out with four, rather than five, stringed back-up.


.

2 comments:

James King, Victoria said...

Nice. Thanks Ross...kind of brings to mind a song of Phil Ochs, not sure if you remember it, called 'A Toast to those who are gone'

Jim

RossK said...

A great one Jim - thanks.

.